Blood Rose Manor
March 29, 2024, 05:03:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Don’t Block Firefox!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Don’t Block Firefox!  (Read 140 times)
blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

Badges: (View All)
Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary
« on: January 19, 2009, 06:25:58 pm »

A site has sprung-up recently called “Why Firefox is Blocked.” They claim that webmasters should block all users running the Firefox web browser (sorry, morons, but Firefox is king) because of the AdBlock Plus extension. They claim that users of the extension are thieves because they use websites while blocking the advertisements. By some weird logic, they believe that webmasters should be given the option of blocking AdBlock. Seeing as they aren’t, they think that Firefox itself should be blocked.

There are several holes in their argument.

* “Software that blocks all advertisement is an infringement of the rights of web site owners and developers.” I believe that it is within people’s rights to block online advertisements should they choose to do so. Note that this is coming from a webmaster who runs advertisements on his websites. I choose not to block ads on others’ sites because I believe they have a right to make money, but I also believe that it’s up to the user. To block or not to block, that is the question…and it’s up to the end user, not the webmaster.
    * “Numerous web sites exist in order to provide quality content in exchange for displaying ads. Accessing the content while blocking the ads, therefore would be no less than stealing.” I don’t think it’s stealing, and that’s a pretty flawed business model.
    * “While blanket ad blocking in general is still theft, the real problem is Ad Block Plus’s unwillingness to allow individual site owners the freedom to block people using their plug-in.” The developers of AdBlock should not have to give webmasters this ability. That would negate the purpose of the extension entirely.
    * “Blocking FireFox is the only alternative.” No, shutting up is a good alternative…
    * “Demographics have shown that not only are FireFox users a somewhat small percentage of the internet…” Yeah, about 8% and rapidly growing. Firefox will be the major web browser given time. Also, a heck of a lot of webmasters use Firefox.
    * “Netscape users can simply set their browser to IE mode to continue to enjoy the site that sent you here. FireFox users can use Internet Explorer, Opera or Netscape (in IE mode) to access it.” Yeah, or we could just install a user-agent switching add-on and pretend to be Internet Explorer…
    * “If Internet Explorer came with a feature such as Adblock, you would effectively wipe out thousands of websites, maybe more.” Uh, you can get ad-blocking software for Internet Explorer, and a lot of people do use it.
    * “If you are offended by the Mozilla Corporation’s endorsement of dishonesty please contact the Mozilla Foundation and ask them to stop empowering internet theft.” Or we could employ web forensics to track down your contact information…

The site links to pages that bash Firefox in every imaginable way, and provides PHP and JavaScript code to block Firefox.

Firefox is The Best Browser On The Planet™ (with Opera second), and users have the right to block ads if they wish. I don’t, but I have no problem with others doing it…however much it may decrease my ad revenues.

http://www.webmaster-source.com/2007/08/18/dont-block-firefox/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Saffi

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 11:44:14 pm »

Wow thanks for the info I kind of seen that coming.The problem being most of the adSense is by Google.I think it's a matter of money vs. money.I bow to the Fox it's the best browser out there.
Report Spam   Logged
Davagator
Headmaster/Governess

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:20:06 am »

RRM  I guess I'll just stop going to sites that block Firefox....
Report Spam   Logged

blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 01:01:08 pm »

I guess I'll just stop going to sites that block Firefox....

Me too, unless I absolutely have to be there.
Report Spam   Logged

Tuberavens

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:38:29 pm »

there is ad blocking software that works with Ie
Report Spam   Logged
blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 02:17:16 pm »

Really? I didn't know that!
Report Spam   Logged

Nazarene4Life
Royalty

♥♥♥ /)(o3o)(\ ♥♥♥

Sixth year Anniversary Windows User Linux User
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 03:21:47 am »

wow... that is intersting... firefox is the best though.
Report Spam   Logged

SilverWlf's Gurl.
http://www.facebook.com/nazarene4life
Twitter: @nazarene4life
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: