Blood Rose Manor
March 28, 2024, 03:24:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Obama to Lift Ban on Funding for Groups Providing Abortions Overseas

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama to Lift Ban on Funding for Groups Providing Abortions Overseas  (Read 397 times)
blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

Badges: (View All)
Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary
« on: January 24, 2009, 04:22:08 pm »

President Obama will continue the back-and-forth of presidents before him by using the Roe v. Wade anniversary to allow non-governmental organizations working abroad to use U.S. funding to give counseling on or provide abortions.

President Obama will issue an executive order on Thursday reversing the Bush administration policy that bans the use of federal dollars by non-govermental organizations that discuss or provide abortions outside of the United States.

Obama will sign the executive order on the 36th anniversary of the landmark Roe v. Wade Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion in all 50 states.

The policy, known in governmental circles as the "Mexico City policy," requires any non-governmental organization to agree before receiving U.S. funds that they will "neither perform nor actively promote abortion as a method of family planning in other nations."

The language was announced at the United Nations International Conference on Population in 1984, and was approved by President Reagan and originally drafted by his assistant secretary of state, Alan Keyes.

Keyes ran unsuccessfully as the GOP nominee against Obama for the U.S. Senate in 2004.

President George Herbert Walker Bush continued Reagan's Mexico City policy.

President Bill Clinton issued an executive order lifting the ban on Jan. 22, 1993. President George W. Bush issued an executive order re-instating the ban on federal dollars for NGOs that discuss or provide abortions on Jan. 22, 2001.

http://tinyurl.com/7xjg59
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tuberavens

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 05:15:49 pm »

President Obama and abortion

Report Spam   Logged
MissyPittyKitty

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 12:28:24 pm »

If he wants to improve OUR economy, why send money abroad? Angry
Report Spam   Logged
blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 01:39:38 pm »

Good question, I was asking myself the same thing.
Report Spam   Logged

Camillusk

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 06:37:16 pm »

Especially when we're in recession.

Someone else mention this though and I was under the impression that the funding would not JUST be for abortions, but for other care. Is the focus being skewed?
Report Spam   Logged
Tuberavens

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 12:40:00 pm »

Stimulus Bill Extras

Report Spam   Logged
Nazarene4Life
Royalty

♥♥♥ /)(o3o)(\ ♥♥♥

Sixth year Anniversary Windows User Linux User
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:17:20 am »

lets see here.... we have millions of people losing jobs.... so lets just send some money overseas to help kill people... sounds like a plan to me.... WAT ON EARTH!!! How about we fix our economy before we worry about overseas.
Report Spam   Logged

SilverWlf's Gurl.
http://www.facebook.com/nazarene4life
Twitter: @nazarene4life
Ikarus
Chef de Cuisine

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:54:33 pm »

Unfortunately the Stimulus is not likely to "fix" the economy.  The main reason why is the stimulus provides very little in creating jobs other than "infrastructure" ones.  So, for companies involved with that it might be helpful.  But other than that, this won't do much.

What started the problem was the sub-prime loans which were essentially forced on banks, leaving them with defaults on mortgages and houses the banks weren't able to sell.  This caused the banks to tighten up on credit, making it difficult for businesses to borrow money to keep going.  So the businesses had to lay off people and make various cutbacks. 

Report Spam   Logged

blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:03:38 pm »

I feel helpless in the face of all of this crap. I wish people would just get fed up and say, enough is enough.
Report Spam   Logged

Ikarus
Chef de Cuisine

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 06:57:12 am »

Now ecconomists are saying they expect the economic downturn to end in October.  Essentially it took years in the making to get to this point and it will make time for the economy to pull out of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Nazarene4Life
Royalty

♥♥♥ /)(o3o)(\ ♥♥♥

Sixth year Anniversary Windows User Linux User
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 07:46:31 am »

i agree.... the economy sux cuz of stupid stuff that happened over the years and its not gonna fly back to normal any time soon
Report Spam   Logged

SilverWlf's Gurl.
http://www.facebook.com/nazarene4life
Twitter: @nazarene4life
blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 09:39:31 am »

I agree also. It`s a sad state of affairs.   
Report Spam   Logged

Camillusk

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 11:43:52 pm »

I would just like to know what the overall goal is of the United States. I'm not even sure if it needs to be a goal, but we should have some sort of mission statement or something. I feel like our ideals have turned into some sort of frosting that everyone has something to ccomplain about - it's too strong, bitter, sticky...blah blah blah.

And this may be a total tangent, but how did the US turn into a popular contest anyway? I feel like I'm in senior high again.
Report Spam   Logged
Stephie
Gate Keeper

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 08:57:47 am »

I have not seen any good changes so far . Have you? or am I just missing them..If we continue to help other Countries we will be a third World Country. Look at the foods you eat like fish and produce most of them come from places like China and Mexico. Why can't we get fish from the Atlantic Ocean or get our own vegetables grown in the US. ?
Report Spam   Logged

blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 08:40:42 pm »

It`s the new world order, don't you just love it? Globalization.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: