Blood Rose Manor
March 28, 2024, 06:10:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Spanking for Bad Grades

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spanking for Bad Grades  (Read 259 times)
Sirfixalot
Coachmen

Poll Master

Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« on: August 28, 2009, 12:34:14 pm »

In October 2007, Loscar Rodriguez was arrested for allegedly beating his then 8-year-old son with a belt. Rodriguez reportedly hit the boy so hard he raised welts on the child's backside. He said he did it as punishment after getting a note from the boy's teacher that he had been goofing around in school and getting poor grades. He was charged with felony child abuse, which prompted debate across South Florida over how parents should be able to discipline their children.

Rodriguez attended counseling and parenting classes as his lawyers worked to have the charge dismissed. After two years of extensive litigation, the state has agreed to drop criminal charges against him. Rodriguez's ex-wife, who was in the courtroom, was outraged that the charge being dropped.

"I can't believe it is being dropped," said Stephanie Verdon, the boy's mother. "They said corporal punishment is allowed in the state of Florida, but the way that he was beaten should not be allowed. It should be overturned, it's not right."

Rodriguez attorney, Mark Eiglarsh, disagreed saying his client should not have been charged in the first place.

"There's a huge debate over what's appropriate and what's not appropriate," said Eiglarish. "But legally we said all along, he had not committed a criminal act and unfortunately it took two years of extensive litigation to get to the point that it became clear to prosecutors he had not committed any criminal act."

When Rodriguez was charged, even the judge who presided over his bond court appearance questioned his arrest.

"If he hit him with the buckle or a baseball hit or something like that or he had injuries," said Judge Fred Seraphin. "But a welt from a belt? It's supposed to leave a mark so you remember to get your work done."

Finally cleared of the child abuse charge, Rodriguez said he's learned a valuable lesson.

"I'm more lenient, you know, it's helped me be more lenient towards him," said Rodriguez who vowed never to punish his son with a belt again.

Rodriguez, who is not a U.S. citizen, could have been sentenced to five years and prison and likely deported to his home country of Nicaragua if convicted.

http://cbs4.com/local/loscar.rodriguez.discipline.2.1144945.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

tatman
Royalty

Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 04:11:15 am »

instead of spankin them take there toys untill the grades pick up. i see a child get poped im finding out why  hit
Report Spam   Logged

Saffi

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:15:39 am »

But a welt from a belt? It's supposed to leave a mark so you remember to get your work done.

I can't believe a judge would say that. RRM
It is true that parenting has gone to the wayside in past years.Respect for authority is a thing of the past.I do feel sorry for teachers in this generation.I think summer school or a tutor would be a much better option than welts.I'm not against spanking in some cases either.My kids were dealt a few as was I, I'm talking total about 5 times but if you talk to them as adults today they remember what they got it for and they never did that thing again.
Report Spam   Logged
plenty
Butler/Chamber Maid

Don't compromise yourself, you are all you got!

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:35:44 am »

I don't believe in spanking with anything.... so many stories I could tell of my upbringing, and I have scars to prove them...  My parents, adopted ones, used whatever they could find, and sometimes it was for nothing.... just because they were drunk and fighting and as usual I became the whipping post....

I got hit with fly swatters, once she(mother) bragged that I wore the bruises of a fancy black widow spider on a fly swatter for a couple of weeks... she also bragged and told the story of sending me to the woodshed (a punsihment worst than the whipping for one knew it was coming) for a stick, I brought in a log and she said if she had used it I would have been dead!!!  I had a horse harness with the bit still on it used and a skipping rope, both left marks on my back...

So, I am against spanking, that is not to say I have not swatted my son's hand when he took something that wasn't his.... or that I never slapped him on the butt for mouthing off, but each time it brought back my own memories and I felt so awful, like I was just as bad as them.... thank god, talking to him now he said he never was hit by me that he did not deserve.... but, truly does a child deserve punishment that degrades???

He and his wife also spank open hand one or two slaps, neither goes beyond that.... if you hit a child in anger are you not producing more anger.... yes, they have to be punished and taught the right way, but there is so many ways to do this.... I do however know of several that are even worst, making a child stand in a corner holding books.... is not right... before you attempt this punishment take two soup cans and hold your arms out!!!  Not allowing them to sink to your side....

I think one can get much better results if they actually talk to the child..... lol yes there are times when a swat on the hand or butt does come in handy for a quick fix, but then sit down and explain why.... let them know how you felt.... it goes a long way much further than the threats and fears of a beating!!!
Report Spam   Logged
tatman
Royalty

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 07:11:04 pm »

should never hit child at all if you get that mad just walk away
Report Spam   Logged

tatman
Royalty

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 07:25:05 am »

get help, anything but keep ya hands off the kids   Angry RRM
Report Spam   Logged

reist
Butler/Chamber Maid

Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 06:50:50 pm »

I don't disagree with spanking in general.  I would say only spank for bad grades if they are purposely getting bad grades.  I'd agree with taking something away rather than spank.
Report Spam   Logged
blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 11:11:04 am »

I would spank my child if they did something that endangered their lives or someone else s... for sure. But for bad grades? I`m sure there are better ways of dealing with that issue. So no, I wouldnt spank for bad grades.

There is a fine line between spanking and abuse.

I do believe in todays society there is way too much permissiveness. If you teach children respect early, they grow up respecting people.
Report Spam   Logged

Ambrossia

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 10:51:33 pm »

MK.. I may get a li'l passionate on this one, so if turns into a rant, I apologize..

I think spanking a child should be left for "life's lessons" and not as a punishment in general. For example, I have spanked my child only once in his 14 years of life and that is when he came in crying to me and I couldn't understand what he was saying. It scared me to death. I was checking for cuts, bruises and so forth and started asking questions.. "did you hurt yourself, did someone else hurt you.. blah blah blah"
after a few more sobs, he finally got it out that he couldn't finish a stage in a video game.. I was beside myself.. without a word, I took him over my knee and spanked him on his rear end three times. then set him down and explained to him that crying over a game to the extent where he scares his mother was NOT acceptable. He hasn't done anything like that since and when it comes to frustration with games, he simply says "he hates this game" and continues on lmao

Now, I believe in spanking in times where you need to teach something a li'l drastically, something to embed that notion into their head for life. But never with a belt or any object other than your hand, for using your hand not only lets you know how far you're going, but you should share in the pain if you're willing to dish it out.
I don't believe a child should be spanked as a punishment though, after awhile the child would be getting spanked more often than not and it all will blend in as a daily routine.. then what do they learn?
As for how something like bad grades should be handled, if you've done your good parenting skills, the child should have a homework schedule stuck to and a reward system. And the rewards should not be material things either. Like if the child really like to do a certain activity ever so often like go to the park or skating at a rink.. then doing those things are conditional by good grades. If they succeeded on a test in a subject where they struggle the most, then something small that they have wanted for a time is suitable.

bah.. told ya.. this is an area that I get a li'l passionate about.. personally, I think the child's father should be beaten the same way.. to make sure he understands what he's doing!
Report Spam   Logged
Nazarene4Life
Royalty

♥♥♥ /)(o3o)(\ ♥♥♥

Sixth year Anniversary Windows User Linux User
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 10:54:21 pm »

not for bad grades.
Report Spam   Logged

SilverWlf's Gurl.
http://www.facebook.com/nazarene4life
Twitter: @nazarene4life
tatman
Royalty

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:18:14 am »

instead of spankin them take there toys untill the grades pick up. i see a child get poped im finding out why  hit
  will say it again, i see a child get smacked or cryin. im finding out why  hit hit
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: