Blood Rose Manor
April 20, 2024, 05:29:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Pesky Mosquito's

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pesky Mosquito's  (Read 171 times)
Saffi

Badges: (View All)
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:52:13 am »

Mosquito Attractants: Dont's
Use this list of items and activities that attract mosquitoes as a list of things to avoid or that can be used as bait to lure mosquitoes away from you.

* Dark Clothing

Many mosquitoes use vision to locate hosts from a distance. Dark clothes and foliage are initial attractants.

* Carbon Dioxide

You give off more carbon dioxide when you are hot or have been exercising. A burning candle or other fire is another source of carbon dioxide.

* Lactic Acid

You release more lactic acid when you have been exercising or after eating certain foods (e.g., salty foods, high-potassium foods).

* Floral or Fruity Fragrances

In addition to perfumes, hair products, and scented sunscreens, watch for the subtle floral fragrance from fabric softeners and dryer sheets.

* Skin Temperature

The exact temperature depends on the type of mosquito. Many mosquitoes are attracted to the slightly cooler temperatures of the extremities.

* Moisture

Mosquitoes are attracted by perspiration because of the chemicals it contains and also because it increases the humidity around your body. Even small amounts of water (e.g., moist plants or mud puddles) will draw mosquitoes. Standing water also allows mosquitoes to reproduce.

Natural Repellents:Do's

These natural products will effectively repel mosquitoes, but they require more frequent reapplication (at least every 2 hours) and higher concentrations than DEET. Because of the differences between types of mosquitoes, products that contain multiple repellents tend to be more effective than those containing a single ingredient. As you can see, natural repellents tend to be volatile plant oils.

* Citronella Oil
    * Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
    * Cinnamon Oil
    * Castor Oil
    * Rosemary Oil
    * Lemongrass Oil
    * Cedar Oil
    * Peppermint Oil
    * Clove Oil
    * Geranium Oil
    * Possibly Oils from Verbena, Pennyroyal, Lavender, Pine, Cajeput, Basil, Thyme, Allspice, Soybean, and Garlic

Another plant-derived substance, pyrethrum, is an insecticide. Pyrethrum comes from the flowers of the daisy Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium.

Things that Lower Repellent Effectiveness

* Many Sunscreens
    * Dilution from Rain, Perspiration, or Swimming
    * Absorption into the Skin
    * Evaporation from Wind or High Temperatures

Keep in mind that 'natural' does not automatically imply 'safe'. Many people are sensitive to plant oils. Some natural insect repellents are actually toxic. Therefore, although natural repellents provide an alternative to synthetic chemicals, please remember to follow the manufacturer's instructions when using these products.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:11:08 pm »

Thanks for posting this....I had a friend in this group asking about this very thing recently.  Smiley It`s great info.

Avon`s skin so soft works for some people.
I tried it, and it actually does help, but it smells so strong it gives me a headache.
Report Spam   Logged

Nazarene4Life
Royalty

♥♥♥ /)(o3o)(\ ♥♥♥

Sixth year Anniversary Windows User Linux User
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:23:03 pm »

lol... this is usefull... i alwayz get bit, and alwayz wear black, so yeah..
Report Spam   Logged

SilverWlf's Gurl.
http://www.facebook.com/nazarene4life
Twitter: @nazarene4life
reist
Butler/Chamber Maid

Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 09:35:36 am »

Thanks! I don't camp very much but my best friend does...
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: