Blood Rose Manor
March 28, 2024, 03:45:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Easy Camping Meals You can Cook without Pots and Pans!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Easy Camping Meals You can Cook without Pots and Pans!  (Read 180 times)
blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

Badges: (View All)
Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary
« on: July 20, 2008, 07:56:54 pm »

Forget the pots and pans!  This is a hobo’s delight – all the cooking and no mess!!  Here are 9 belly-bustin’ camp meals that you and your family can enjoy without using a single pot or pan.  No, this is not a magic trick!  The secret is……….tin foil!  Can you believe it?  This durable, non-flammable material is easy to use and dispose of to make cooking a snap.  So, leave the pots and pans at home, grab a roll of tin foil and following these easy recipes for simple, yet satisfying camping meals.

Hobo
This is the first one I ever learned as a Scout.  Thinly slice carrots, onions, and potatoes.  Tear off a 12” strip of tin foil.  Place a hamburger patty on the foil.  Place a layer of vegetables on top.  Add salt, pepper or other spices to your liking.  Fold the foil over the top and bottom.  Fold up the corners so it won’t leak and place on the coals, hamburger side down.  It should take 20-30 minutes depending on the heat of your coals.  When done, open it up and use a knife and fork to eat directly from the foil.

Want that barbeque flavor for your Hobo?  Put a squirt of BBQ sauce on the hamburger before you put on the vegetables.

Beef Stew
This is the same as a Hobo, but a little more up-scale since you are using beef cubes.  Thinly slice carrots, onions, and potatoes or maybe add broccoli and cauliflower.  Tear off a 12” strip of tin foil.  Place beef cubes on the foil.  Place a layer of vegetables on top.  Add salt, pepper or other spices to your liking.  This time add some butter and a couple of tablespoons of water to make gravy!  Yum! Fold the foil over the top and bottom.  Fold up the corners so it won’t leak and place on the coals, beef side down.  It should take 20-30 minutes depending on the heat of your coals.  When done, open it up and use a knife and fork to eat directly from the foil.

Chicken and Corn
Smear chicken pieces with butter.  Spice to your liking and wrap in 12” strip of foil.  Lay on the coals, turning the chicken every few minutes for about 20 minutes.  The corn can be husked, lathered with butter and wrapped in foil for a nice roasting in about 10 minutes.  Another way to do the corn is to pull back the leaves, remove the husk (hair-like fibers), close the leaves, dip the ear of corn in water and place directly on the coals!  Should roast nicely in 8-10 minutes, turning often so it doesn’t burn.

Fish
In this recipe substitute meat or poultry for fish or shrimp!  You can add thinly sliced vegetables or put finely chopped chives, butter and a slice of lemon in a 12” strip of foil.  Smaller, lighter fish or shrimp will not take as long to cook so I would expect 3-5 minutes cooking time.

Ham and Sweet Potato
In this recipe use chunks of ham, thin slices of sweet potato, (chunks will also work) and a slice of pineapple.  Put all this in a 12” strip of foil with a dollop of butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar.  Wrap up the foil and put on the coals for 10 minutes each side and you have a tasty ham and sweet potato dinner in 20 minutes!

Potato
I use this when I want to add a potato to the meal, like the Fish and lemon meal above.  But, I have to start the potato first, since it takes longer to cook than the fish.  I take a fork and stab the potato 3-5 times in the front and back, wrap it in foil and bury it in the coals.  It usually takes about 30-40 minutes to cook and I can tell when it’s ready by poking it with a fork to see how soft it is. I take it out of the coals, slice it open and stick a slice of hard butter in it! YUM!

Oriental Chicken
Use boneless chicken pieces or strips and frozen mixed vegetables.  Put the chicken and vegetables in a 12” strip of foil.  Add two capfuls of soy sauce, a dash of garlic salt and a sprinkle of brown sugar.  Wrap and cook on coals for about 20 minutes, turning every few minutes.

Breakfast Nest
Here’s one you can try for breakfast!  Take a sausage patty and put it on the foil.  Take frozen hash browns and make a little nest on top of the sausage patty.  Now comes the tricky part – crack an egg into the nest, wrap-up the foil and cook for about 5-7 minutes, turning every few minutes.

Mushroom Chicken
Use boneless chicken pieces or strips, frozen peas and a can of cream of mushroom soup.  Put the chicken on a 12” strip of foil; add a couple of tablespoons of soup and a handful of peas.  Wrap and cook on coals for about 20 minutes, turning every few minutes.  This will be very moist!

As you can see there are lots of variations on the original tin foil cooking method.  Substitute some of your favorite vegetables and meats to see what you come up with.  Imagine your favorite meal, and then try to make it work the “tin foil way”.  Write me at and tell me what creation you came up with.  I would like to hear about it.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

allcutiewants

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 07:12:11 am »

Afro Very cool! usually when we go camping its with a large group (like 7-8 families) and we usually do dinners together, so one will cook for the entire group a different night. Since its my husbands family we go with, usually the "Aunts" do the cooking, and I just eat!
Report Spam   Logged
blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

Seventh year Anniversary Search Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 07:21:19 am »

Sounds like you got it made...The aunts do all the cooking, what more could you ask for?
Did you see the zip lock bag recipes? They are handy for snacks...If you can work the zipper thingies. (I always have trouble with zip lock bags.)
Report Spam   Logged

allcutiewants

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 07:08:00 am »

I put everything in zip lock bags for the kids and am currently teaching Zoe how to close them  Afro
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: