Blood Rose Manor
June 21, 2024, 03:36:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Time

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Time  (Read 151 times)
Windmill

Badges: (View All)
« on: December 03, 2008, 01:25:14 pm »

As the dictionary states:  A nonspatial continuum in which events occur in apparent irreversible succession from the past, though the present, to the future......

Now if we look at that statement.  Nonspatial continuum.  Something that is constant an going on at a certain rate.  Does time slow down?
Yes it does!  If you are traveling in your vehicle, say 60 mph.....you are traveling at a rate of one mile per minute. Yet your thoughts during
this time as you travel occur at the same rate? Not really.  You are thinking at the same rate, but also you have traveled  a certain distance between thoughts.  Your thinking has been accelerated, very slightly in one's perception but time and space have distroted itself
by moving though a continuum at a higher rate.

Events occur in apparent irreversible succession.  We cannot change time or what has happened though time. It is a hard metaphysical fact. Science fiction always had a habit of stretching physics, especially when it comes to time travel.

Time is a concept. We think we know what it is based on our observations of our surroundings.  We measure how long it takes the earth to rotate completely once. We measure how long it takes this planet to circumvent its orbit around the sun.  We measure other planets and astronomical objects to predict their distance and rate of motion.

I suppose something somewhere could blow out whole perception of this concept but we are dealing with the fabric of the known universe when we do.  Pretty serious stuff.  Everyone from Plato, Copernicus, Galileo, Einstein, and Hawkings would be proven wrong and that a hefty lineup to overcome or discourage.

Being an astronomer myself, I have always held a concept of time.  During my observations I notice how each object moves though the heavens each night (or observation).  I see the sun where it would be in the backdrop of the constellations even though they are invisible due to the sun's brightness and density.  How the sun moves though the sky and its apparent angle during the seasons.  All these things considered each day for years of my life.   Sidereal time is used by the military and other tracking systems.  It is very accurate.

I guess I've let all the air out of the windbag (or windmill) on this subject.  Please forgive my rambling! 

The sails of the windmill at last rest with the stillness of the breeze...........
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: