Blood Rose Manor
June 16, 2024, 07:46:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Deputies: Kids Unrestrained In Back Of U-Haul

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Deputies: Kids Unrestrained In Back Of U-Haul  (Read 47 times)
blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

Badges: (View All)
« on: September 26, 2008, 03:21:17 pm »

COOPERTOWN, Tenn. -- Deputies said five children were seen coming out of the back of a U-Haul after a woman pulled into a Mapco in Coopertown. The children range in age from 4 to 13 years old. Three more unrestrained children were riding in the front with Quiana Deberry; the youngest was 11 months old.

"No ventilation, no way for them to communicate with the people in front if there was a problem,” said Coopertown Police Department Chief Jessie Burchwell. “There were all sorts of dangers: If they turned over, there's heat, if they rolled over; all sorts of things."

A concerned citizen saw the children climbing out of the back of the truck.

"I just pray and hope the kids are OK," said Robertson County resident Courtney Terry. "She should have thought about those kids. That was very unsafe: She could have had a wreck; they could have suffocated."

Police said Deberry, 29, was moving with her eight children from Georgia to Illinois. She is behind bars on a $100,000 bond Thursday afternoon, and she faces five counts of reckless endangerment of a child.

The children -- some her own, some her nieces and nephews -- were fed and put up in a hotel with an 18-year-old family member for the night before being turned over to the Department of Children's Services.

"Any case dealing with children is hard for officers to deal with,” said Burchwell. “That's why the officers went out of way to make sure they had something to eat and … make sure they were safe."
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Saffi

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 11:41:15 am »

I've been in two car accidents  Both hit from the car behind the mom was not using her head.
Report Spam   Logged
blueyes
Crown holder
Royalty

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 01:16:21 pm »

I thought they were being harsh...Until I read that there was a baby back there.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: